Marble cake is one of those cakes that I liked as a child very much and I dare say that most children enjoy this cake a lot. That is probably one of the reasons why this cake is often served at children's birthday parties.
I still like marble cake but probably not as much as I did when I was little. I would probably never serve this cake for my birthday anymore. A marble cake is a cake for weekdays but not for special celebrations - at least for me.
I know there are many marble cake recipes out there but most recipes contain a lot of eggs  which makes the cake more on the heavier side. I always use only 3 eggs instead of 5 or 6 eggs but I add my secret ingredient which is yogurt. Adding yogurt to the batter makes my marble cake incredible moist.

NOTES: Try to use a good quality cacao powder for baking. In my opinion it makes a big difference which kind of cacao powder one uses. You will taste the difference.
If you have the patience eat the cake the next day. Even on day three or four the marble cake tastes delicious.
My marble cake bakes for 50 to 55 minutes. However, I recommend checking your cake at 40 to 45 minutes. Ovens are individuals, ovens are such divas!


Makes one bundt cake ( 17 cm diameter / height 10 cm / 1 liter volume )

INGREDIENTS

  • 200 g unsalted butter (softened)
  • 200 g granulated sugar
  • 3 eggs (medium size)
  • 240 g all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon of baking powder
  • 150 ml milk (full fat), plus 1 tablespoon of milk
  • 100 g plain yogurt (full fat)
  • 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cacao powder
  • 1 teaspoon of vanilla paste
  • Powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 175°C.
  • Generously grease and flour your cake pan.
  • Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add one egg at a time.
  • Mix flour and baking powder. Add the flour mixture, yogurt and milk to the butter-egg mixture. Mix all ingredients until well combined but do not overmix the batter.
  • Take one third of the batter and add cacao powder and one tablespoon of milk to the batter.
  • Add the vanilla paste to the other part of the batter.
  • Pour one third of the vanilla batter to the cake pan (that is the first layer). Pour half of the chocolate batter as the second layer, then the vanilla batter as the third layer, again chocolate batter and the last layer is the vanilla batter. Take a knife and swirl the batter. Swirl very gently because you do not want  the vanilla batter mixed together with the chocolate batter.
  • Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes. If you insert a toothpick and it comes out clear the cake is done.
  • Let the cake cool completely. Unmould the marble cake and sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.