There are countless recipes of chocolate cakes. There is chocolate mouse cake, Sachertorte cake (my recipe is here), French chocolate tartes, chocolate cake with beetrootes, chocolate cake with potatoes (my recipe is here), chocolate zucchini cake, flourless chocolate cakes, chocolate cakes with lots of eggs an so forth.
Today I want to share a chocolate cake recipe which requires no eggs. Yes, a chocolate cake without eggs. I came across this recipe while browsing through my mom's recipe folder - where she saves recipes from old Swedish magazines - in order to find inspiration for new cake recipes. When I showed my mom the recipe she told me that this is really a good recipe and she made the cake "a while ago". A while ago means 20 years ago and I cannot remember that my mom made this chocolate cake. I guess I was too young.
I was not so sure that a chocolate cake without eggs will be a hit. But I was too curious and decided to make this eggless chocolate cake. And what can I say: I love this chocolate cake. A lot. The cake is not over chocolately but it is a dense, rich and a very very moist cake. Sometimes I crave a chocolate cake but not an overly chocolately cake. For those cake moments this is my new favorite chocolate cake. 
I served the cake with freshly whipped cream and strawberries which compliments the cake very well. And as a bonus I think the cake looks very fancy with strawberries and whipped cream on the side. But shhh, don't tell anyone that this is a very easy cake to make. No stand mixers or any fancy kitchen equipment are needed. You need a bowl and a spoon. That is all.




Makes one round cake ( ΓΈ 20 cm / 8 inches)

INGREDIENTS

  • 270 g all-purpose flour
  • 270 g granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cacao
  • 3 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla sugar
  • 100 ml whole milk
  • 75 unsalted butter, melted
  • 100 ml boiling water
  • Powdered sugar
  • Whipped cream
  • Fruits, such as strawberries or peaches

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 175 °C.
  • Line the bottom of cake pan with parchment paper. Do not skipp this step. Grease and flour the cake pan, too.
  • Mix flour, sugar, cacao, baking powder and vanilla sugar in a big bowl.
  • Add milk, melted butter and boiling water to the dry ingredients. Stir until all ingredients are well combined.
  • Pour the batter into the cake pan.
  • Bake the cake for 45 to 50 minutes. If you insert a toothpick and it comes out clear the cake is done.
  • Let the cake cool completely. Remove cake pan.
  • Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar.
  • Serve cake with freshly whipped cream and fruits.