On Friday I bought a big bag of golden delicious apples. When I put my groceries into my tote bag I knew that I wanted to make an apple cake but I had no clear vision what kind of apple cake I wanted to make. However, on Saturday morning I woke up and I had the divine inspiration from my kitchen gods and I knew I had to make my mom’s oatmeal apple cake. As long as I can remember my mom makes this apple cake every single Saturday. On Saturday my mom always cooks a soup and she always makes the same apple cake. Sometimes my mom replaces the apple with pears or in the fall season she replaces the apples with plums but the cake batter remains the same every single Saturday. I can’t believe that this cake never came to my mind because it is a cake I grew up with and I do not know how many times I ate this cake but it must be more than hundred times.







After I had this brilliant idea to make this apple cake I sent my mom an Email and asked her if she could sent me her apple cake recipe. I expected that she would typewrite the recipe for me and Email it to me. A few hours later I received a reply from my mom but she did not typewrite the recipe but she scanned her handwritten recipe. I cannot tell you how delighted I was and still am when I saw her personal handwritten recipe which is a few decades old and she probably did not use the recipe anymore because she knows the recipe by heart. Receiving this handwritten recipe mae me happy all day and now I want to write by hand all the time. Nowadays handwriting is special affair because writing by hand is not very common anymore. Of course this has its advantages but I am afraid that a little bit of “personal touch” of every human being gets lost. I think it is fun to look back at your handwriting when you were younger and look back how your handwriting is changing over the times.
Let’s return to the apple cake. This morning was a very special moment for me because for the very first time I made my mom’s apple cake. Needless to say that I feel very grown-up now that I can make my mom’s apple cake that I used to eat every single Saturday as long as I can remember.
Moreover, I think the cake could not be simpler and you probably have all the ingredients on hand. It literally takes no more than 10 minutes to prepare the cake and no fancy baking equipments are needed. You just need a bowl, a spoon, a cake pan, an oven and half an hour later you have a delicious crunchy oatmeal apple cake.

Makes a 9 inch / 21 cm cake

INGREDIENTS


  • 50 g unsalted butter
  • 100 g granulated sugar
  • 1 egg, medium size
  • 60 g pastry flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 80 g oats
  • 2 apples, or pears, plums
  • 1 tablespoon milk
  • Powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
  • Grease and flour a cake pan.
  • Melt the butter.
  • Mix melted butter, sugar and egg with a wooden spoon.
  • Add flour, baking powder and oatmeal and mix until all ingredients are well combined. If the cake batter is too dry, add a tablespoon of milk to the mixture.
  • Spread the batter into the cake pan.
  • Peel the apples and cut into slices.
  • Lay the apple slices on the batter.
  • Bake the cake for 35 to 40 minutes until golden in color. 
  • Let the cake cool, remove from the cake pan. 
  • Sprinkle with confectioner's sugar. 
  • Enjoy the cake with freshly whipped cream.