The café Angelina is an old Parisian institution that was founded in 1903 by the Austrian pastry chef Anton Rumpelmayer. The café is known for its chocolat l'africain - a very thick hot chocolate which has a pudding-like consistency - and the Mont Blanc pastry. In general, the café Angelina focuses on traditional French pastries. The café itself is beautiful, - the interior is in the Belle Époque style  - and personalities such as Marcel Proust and Coco Chanel frequently visited the Angelina. 
Besides the original café which is located at Tuileries, the Angelina has expanded to nine other locations in Paris and in addition, there is an Angelina pastry store in the Rue du Bac in the 7th arrondissement. Last time I was in Paris I visited the pastry store in the Rue du Bac instead of the salon du thé because I wanted to visit the pastry stores Des Gâteaux et du Pain and La Pâtisserie des Rêves which are located in the Rue du Bac as well; the pastries stores are literally a door away from each other.


My bill of my Saint-honoré cake purchase
I treated myself to a Saint-honoré cake (the cake is named after the French patron saint of bakers and pastry chefs) which I have never tried from Angelina. The appearance of Angelina's Saint-honoré cake is pure perfection (so are all cakes at Angelina!). When I opened the elegant brown cake box I was in awe and I almost teared up because of the beauty of the cake (I know I am a little cake crazy).
The outer appearance of cakes can be deceiving but as soon as I took my first bite from the Saint-honoré I knew I was in cake heaven. The perfectly piped whipped cream with a hint of vanilla on top could not be more delicious, the puff pastry bottom was crispy and the caramelized choux pastry filled with a vanilla cream had the perfect consistency and was not too sweet as well.
After I finished eating the cake - I enjoyed every single bite - I was thinking to myself "I can only dream of creating such beautiful cakes myself that are made with a lot dedication and passion. It inspires me becoming a better amateur pâtissière as well and who knows, maybe one day I can share such cake perfection with you. 
When in Paris, do not forget to pay a visit to the café Angelina and indulge in a hot chocolate and a Saint-honoré cake. Personally, I prefer having tea with cake since hot chocolate is very rich, in particular, the one from Angelina.

Addresses & Opening Hours:

Café Angelina
226 rue de Rivoli
75001 Paris
Monday to Friday: 7:30 am to 7:00 pm
Saturday to Sunday: 8:30 am to 7:30 pm
~
Pastry Store
Boutique Rive Gauche
108 rue du Bac
75007 Paris
Monday to Thursday: 9:00 am - 7:30 pm
Friday and Saturday: 9:00 am - 8:00 pm Sunday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm