I do not know how many times I declared my love for making mousse cakes. It is my favorite and I never ever get tired of it and it is such a joy sharing my cake creations with you. However, I also want to share a variety of recipes with you and this is why I am sharing a delicious cookie recipe with you today.
I am not a big breakfast person but I am an early morning person. I love getting up early and as soon as I got up I am full of energy but most of the time I am not hungry. Often my breakfast consists of a big cup of green tea. However, these days I enjoy a little bowl of porridge with pears, walnuts and a drizzle of maple syrup which keeps me warm during these cold winter days. But on those days that I am not hungry at all I enjoy one or two oatmeal cookies which consist of a thin layer of semisweet chocolate sandwiched between two cookies. The oats gives the cookie dough a distinctive flavor and the chocolate gives the hearty cookies a little more sweetness. These delicious cookies are full of delightfulness, very addicting and I also enjoy the cookies as an afternoon tea snack. The more I eat these cookies I have a feeling they might become to one of my favorite cookies of this year. 

Makes about 25 cookies ( 5 cm / 2 inches in diameter)

INGREDIENTS

  • 100 g / 7 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft
  • 75 g / 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg (medium size)
  • 50 g / 1/2 cup instant oats (quick cooking oats)
  • 200 g / 2 cups pastry flour
  • 125 g / 4 1/2 ounces chocolate (50 - 60 %), roughly chopped

DIRECTIONS

  • Whisk butter and sugar until creamy; add salt and egg. Add rolled oats and flour and mix until the dough comes together. 
  • On a lightly floured surface knead the dough until it is smooth. Form the dough to a disc, wrap it into cling wrap and let the dough chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
  • Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. 
  • Preheat the oven to 200 °C / 390 °F. 
  • Take the dough out of the fridge and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes at room temperature. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface (do not roll out entire dough at once, roll out half of the dough). While rolling out the dough lift it regularly, so the dough does not stick to your work surface. Roll the dough until it is 2 mm / 0.08 inch thick. The cookies taste the best on the thin side, so I do not recommend rolling the dough thicker than 2 mm. 
  • Cut out cookies with a cookie cutter; I used a 5 cm / 2 inches round cookie cutter but you can use any shape you like. Reroll the remaining dough, cut out cookies again, continue the procedure until the entire dough is used up. 
  • Place the cookies onto the baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake the cookies 7 to 9 minutes or until the cookies have a slightly golden color. 
  • Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack. 
  • Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. 
  • Spread the melted chocolate onto half of the cookies. Gently place the rest of the cookies on top. Let the cookies firm up. 
  • Keep the cookies in an air-tight container or in a cookie tin.