I like tea. Oh wait Marianne; this is not true because it is an understatement. I love, love tea and I am addicted to it.
In the morning I have a cup of Earl Grey tea with a touch of milk, during the day I drink green tea and in the evening I usually have a cup of herbal tea. I am too embarrassed to tell you how many cups of green tea I drink a day, so let’s keep it a secret. I try to cut back on my tea consumption these days and I try substitute green tea with hot water with a slice of lemon. So far this is going well but I must admit that there is nothing better than a cup of green tea. Drinking a cup of green tea is meditation for me; it makes me calm when I am stressed out, I feel so awake and full of energy drinking green tea and sometimes I like to stare into my teacup. One day I would like to have a tiny little tea room where I can drink tea, meditate, host little tea parties with homemade green tea cakes and cookies, store my tea and teacups. I hope I can fulfill this dream one day.



If you don’t like green tea or never tried green tea I recommend trying a high quality green tea because I think with green tea the quality makes a big difference. Try to stay away from green tea in teabags that one can find in the grocery stores, at least in Europe. This green tea tastes not good at all and I could never finish a cup of this kind of tea. If I had enough time I would have a blog about tea because this makes me so excited just like baking. Maybe one day there will be a blog names TeawithMarianne...
Some time ago my dear friend from Taiwan sent me a package with matcha green tea latte powder. For the longest I wanted to make a green tea cake and green tea cookies and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to use the green tea powder. Green tea cookies I have yet to make but I can cross of green tea cake from my list.
Since I used a matcha green tea latte the flavor green tea is not too strong. I think this is perfect when having a cup of green tea because otherwise it might be too overpowering.
But I also want to experiment with Japanese matcha powder and see what difference it makes in comparison to the green tea latte powder.
Since my petite kugelhopf moulds became one of my favorite cake pans (besides my beloved brioche moulds) I had to use them for my green tea latte cake recipe. I cannot tell you how much I am in love with my petite kugelhopf moulds. Just looking at my green tea latte cakes is pure happiness. In case Alice of Alice in Wonderland is ever invited again to another mad tea party she should have a petite kugelhopf. I am sure Alice would change her mind and would not think that she went to the stupidest tea party in her life.

Makes 6 little cakes

INGREDIENTS

  • 30 g unsalted butter
  • 1 egg
  • 75 g granulated sugar
  • 90 g pastry flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar or vanilla extract
  • 50 ml milk
  • 10 g matcha powder 
  • Powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 175 °C.
  • Grease and flour your cake moulds. If you use silicon moulds you do not need to grease or flour the moulds.
  • Melt the butter and let it cool.
  • In the meantime whisk the egg and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla sugar or extract to the egg mixture.
  • Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
  • Mix the milk with matcha green tea latte powder until the powder is dissolved. I usually heat the milk because the powder mixes better in warm liquid.
  • Add the flour, melted butter and matcha green tea latte to the egg mixture. Mix until everything is well combined.
  • Fill the moulds with the batter.
  • Bake for 17 to 20 minutes. To prove if the cake is done, insert a toothpick into the cake and if it comes out clear the cake is done.
  • Let the cake cool for a few minutes. Remove gently from the moulds. I think everything looks prettier with a little bit powdered sugar. If you agree, then dust the cakes with confectioner’s sugar.