Skurna chokladkakor which simply means sliced chocolate cookies are one those baked goods that you will always find in a Swedish bakery and it is a classic Swedish cookie that my grandmother enjoyed, my mom likes and I am very fond of this sligthly crispy chocolate cookie, too.
Traditionally, these chocolate cookies are topped with pearl sugar. The other day I was retesting my cookie recipe and topped half of the cookies with chopped almonds and it was such a brilliant idea. It never crossed my mind using anything else than pearl sugar; I got probably caught up in tradition!If you cannot find pearl sugar - an ingredient that is often used in Swedish baking, for instance Swedish cinnamon rolls are always topped with pearl sugar - or if you don't like pearl sugar use roughly chopped almonds or nuts. It is such a great alternative and I think it taste even better with almonds and nuts but shhh, don't tell anyone.
- 200 g / 7/8 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 200 g / 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg (large)
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla sugar *
- 300 g / 3 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 35 g / 1/4 cup of unsweetened raw cacao powder
- Pearl sugar, roughly chopped almonds or chopped hazelnuts
- 1 egg (small), beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C / 400 °F.
- Prepare two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add egg and vanilla sugar.
- Sift flour, cacao and baking powder in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Add flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir with a wooden spoon.
- As soon as the dough comes together, transfer the dough to a floured surface. Knead the dough until it is smooth (it gets a little bit messy). If the dough is too sticky, add a little bit more flour.
- Divide the dough into four parts. Roll each dough into a log (2 cm / 0.8 inch Ø ).
- Place two logs on each baking sheet. Make sure that there is enough space between each log. Flatten each log slighty until it is about 4 cm / 1.5 inches.
- Brush the logs with a beaten egg and sprinkle with pearl sugar, chopped almonds or hazelnuts.
- Bake the logs for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Let the cookies cool for one minute. Take a sharp knife and cut diagonally into 2 cm / 0,8 inches slices. The cookies will be soft but will harden when cooled. Let the cookies cool completely on a wire rack.
- Store the cookies in an air-tight container up to two weeks.