This cake is one of my all time favorite apple cakes - besides my beloved Saturday Oatmeal Apple Cake of my mom. Ever since I made the cake for the very first time I make the "Gedeckter Apfelkuchen" every single year. The cake is such a beautiful rich and delicious apple cake which is so comforting for the colder months of the year.
Makes 1 cake (diameter 16 cm)
- 50 g hazelnut flour
- 200 g all-purpose flour
- 125 g unsalted cold butter (cut in cubes)
- 75 g granulated sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 50 g raisins
- 1 tablespoon of rum
- 375 g tart apples
- 45 g almond flakes (toasted)
- 25 g granulated sugar
- 50 g confectioners' sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons of apple juice or water
- 2 tablespoons almond flakes (toasted)
- Knead hazelnut flour, all-purpose flour, butter, granulated sugar, salt and egg yolk to a dough. Wrap the dough into clingwrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For the apple filling wash the raisins in hot water. In a small bowl let the raisins soak in rum.
- Peel and core the apples and cut them into small cubes (about 4 cm).
- Mix apple cubes, rum soaked raisins, almond slivers and sugar in a bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
- Line the bottom of your springform pan with parchment paper and grease and flour your pan.
- On a floured surface roll out 2/3 of the dough into a circle (the circle should be bigger than the springform). Gently lay the dough into the cake pan.
- Place the apple filling into the pan.
- Roll out the remaining dough to a circle and lay the circle on the top of the apple filling, Press the edges together to seal the dough.
- Bake the apple cake for 35 to 40 minutes. If the top of the cake gets too brown cover the cake with aluminium foil. I usually cover the cake with aluminium foil after 30 minutes.
- Mix confectioners' sugar and apple juice or water. While the cake is still warm brush the top of the cake with icing and sprinkle with toasted almond flakes.