The last two weeks I had troubles eating breakfast. I usually have half of a banana before my morning run and when I come home and after taking a shower I have breakfast which usually consists of non-fat Greek yoghurt or cottage cheese with fruits and nuts. But in the last two weeks I prepared my breakfast and after one bite or two I was unable to finish my breakfast. I just had my tea in the morning and I was not hungry until 2 pm. I know it is not healthy at all and I know that I did not eat enough during the last two weeks. I have no idea why my body refuses my daily breakfast, maybe I have too much stress these days or maybe I should try some other breakfast options. So the other day, when I found myself craving a raspberry muffin, I thought this would be a good opportunity to experiment in the kitchen and try to make “healthier” muffins which one can enjoy guilt-free for your morning breakfast. I am more than happy with the result and I think I will make these raspberry muffins on a regular basis. I used only a little bit of sugar and I think this is the perfect amount of sweetness for a breakfast muffin (of course you can add some more sugar or maybe drizzle a little bit of honey on the muffin before you enjoy your muffin). The muffins are incredible moist. 
One more remark before you can go into the kitchen and make these muffins. Have a look at the beautiful handwriting on the letter. It is the courtesy of my friend who always sends me such beautiful letters and handmade cards. I wish I had such a talent. You can check out her two blogs here (you can learn all about inks and pens) and here (a mishmash of different things).




Makes 6 big muffins

INGREDIENTS

  • 50 g muscovado sugar *
  • 100 g butter milk
  • 20 g vegetable oil
  • 1 egg, medium size
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 60 g whole wheat flour
  • 60 g wheat flour
  • 30 g rolled oats
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 pinch of salt
  • 30 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
  • 200 g frozen raspberries
* If you do not have any muscovado sugar on hand (it is a very dark unrefined brown sugar), you can substitute it with regular brown sugar. I like the taste of muscovado sugar a lot and it is a little bit “healthier” than granulated sugar.

DIRECTIONS

  • Preheat the oven to 200 °C.
  • Line your muffin pan with paper liners or grease the pan.
  • Whisk the sugar, butter milk, vegetable oil, egg and vanilla extract in a big bowl.
  • Mix the dry ingredients: whole wheat flour, wheat flour, oats, baking powder and soda, salt, walnuts.
  • Add the dry ingredients mixture to the wet ingredients mixture. Mix until it is combined but do not overmix.
  • Fold in the raspberries into the batter.
  • Bake the muffins for 15 to 20 minutes.
  • Let the muffins cool in the pan, then remove from the pan. Sprinkle the muffins with confectionary sugar.